Sunday, May 27, 2012

Running Errands in Ghana!


Saturday:
We had a lot of things to get in town today for the orphanage and for ourselves. I thought I was prepared for the walk and the weather but after about two strides I was drenched and felt like I had lost any moisture I had in my body to begin with. We found a really cool shop on the way back from the bank that had an amazing selection of fabrics and bags to choose from… we will have to revisit this store before we leave.
Going into the Chemical Store was insane… you can buy straight penicillin in a bottle. It’s all bottled in scary old labels as if you were in the medicine room of an old hospital. We were able to replenish both the first aide boxes for the school, and the orphanage so that later in the month we can do a first aide class for the teachers.
On our way back to the hotel we came upon something terrifying. The road to the hotel is a dirt road, like most of the roads in Hohoe, and lined with thick trees and bushes on either side of the road. On the walk down the road we came upon a group of about thirty worker men with machetes in their hands walking straight towards us. This was scary and intimidating on its own but what happen next made it even worse…one of the men picked up a large snake about 3 feet in length and 5 inches wide and held it in the air amused by how scared our faces must have looked; Rachel nearly threw-up and I nearly peed my pants.
Our second trip into town today was just as eventful, first we were stopped by two twelve year old girls standing outside of an orphanage/ boarding house and harassed by them to write down our addresses for them to have--- are they kidding? Then, after we escaped them, we were chased by a small three year old boy who was eye-balling my purse and yelling something in ewe (the language they speak here) as if he was a seasoned thief, he even was reaching in their air to grab hold of my purse, though he wasn’t tall enough to reach….. I suppose he could have been reaching for my hand but I doubt it.
Sunday:
Sundays is the  holy day so everything is pretty much closed down until around 6-7 at night, I like the solitude I could sit and think or listen to music for hours and not get bored, though time does go slower when you’re not doing anything. I sat outside and baked in the sun for a little to get a little tan going but the sun is so intense I only lasted an hour, if that. After researching some touristy ideas for the upcoming week and next weekend I found some things that look pretty interesting we just have to agree on something and pick the days to do them.
OK… the diet is getting to me; I am losing my appetite for chicken with barely any meat on it and potato fries or rice. Our cook returns tomorrow and we are going to ask her to prepare us the traditional dish called Banku but with chicken broth instead of the goat soup on the menu… that will we something different at least. I notice now how much my mood and life depend on the food I eat I am a true foodie and being without is going to be my greatest challenge…as stupid as that sounds. I dream of the restaurants and food I will prepare when I return… I miss cooking.
We visited the orphanage today for a short while to see a soccer game between too local teams in an 18+ team league and it was very cool to watch. Some were decked out in all the assumed soccer gear and others were barefoot or wearing just socks. I guess it all depends on how you learned to play.
I don’t think I have mentioned how the women and men around here carry insanely unimaginably large amounts of stuff on their heads, weather it be a child, man, women, or elderly person they carry anything and everything on their head without concentration. Boxes for food or supplies, tree branches to build, huge bags of rice, bowls filled with veggies or fabric, large plates stacked high with food for sale they carry it around while still walking and waving and even dancing like it’s no big deal. My jaw drops sometimes at what they are carrying as they walk past me.
Tomorrow marks the beginning of our second week here teaching and we are hoping to get some time to work one on one with the children in our classes; we will see how it goes. Waterfalls maybe on Wednesday?!!
<3 Jessie                

No comments:

Post a Comment