Friday, June 1, 2012

Freaky Friday


Today was a very fun day; we had a lot of funny things happen in the last 24 hours. Last night while posting some photos is online, Rachel looked below her feet and saw a GIANT toad inside the building where we go for the internet… at first we were just watching it but then  the owner beckoned her daughter to come find and remove it. Abigail used a straw handmade broom to sweep the frog out as she chased the hopping thing around the room; when she finally reached the toad she swatted it so hard and so flat to the ground I thought she nearly flattened the poor thing and kept swatting it even as it was out the door--- we were all laughing so hard watching her.
This morning we went to school but on Fridays they only learn until around 11 and then they all play soccer and volleyball and games until lunch right before they are let out early… I was enjoying playing soccer barefoot with a few kids until I kicked a cinder block full force with my big toe (I am pretty sure I sprained something).
After school we went to the market to look for fabric and a few other things. It was a very productive trip I found three different patterns and for very good prices. The people here are all so fascinated by the elephant tattoo on my arm and they all stare at it not really knowing what it is I think. Today in market a women actually grabbed my arm and yelled something at me in Ewe as if she was asking a question but of course I had no idea what she was saying I just said “yes, elephant” and walked away.
This morning there was a very uncomfortable incident at the hotel; we had asked a woman, Princilla, who we know that works here where we should put our laundry bag for the other lady, Peace, who actually does the laundry so she could clean it for us today. Princilla said “she said you didn’t pay her so she will no longer work for you or do your laundry”. This was weird because we were never told to pay them and were under the impression that when we left after the 5 weeks we would pay them all something. “I said oh, I am sorry we didn’t know we were supposed to”. We ended up not doing the laundry and later in the day we spoke with the owner Hilda and asked what the protocol was; she was appalled and said we were right and we shouldn’t pay now we can tip at the end.  But then!!!! She continued to call Princilla over to us screamed at her in Ewe and then talk to us about her in the third person as if she wasn’t there “She makes up stories, the women didn’t even ask for money or care to be paid, she doesn’t know what she is talking about, she is stupid and talks when she shouldn’t”. Needless to say we apologized and tried to say we weren’t upset and just wanted to make sure we were doing things right but it was sooooooo awkward and I felt so bad for Princilla who had been berated in front  of us without saying a word. Hilda continued to yell at her for a good 20 minutes after we went into our room… terrible      
I saved a goat!!!!
Today on the walk home from market we were almost to our hotel when we saw the babyest of baby goats making a sort of crying noise and clearly separated from its mom who was on the other side of the road. (The roads are lined with 1.5 inch cement gutter type things that are really just wells filled with sludge and garbage.) I didn’t think he knew how or could jump over it so I gave Rachel my bags and ran across the road to save him. The locals were staring but it gets worse… the goat was afraid of me so it made tons of noise and then jumped over the gutter thing to the road but didn’t know where to go a car was coming ad I instinctively jumped in front of the moving taxi put my hand out and yelled “STOP!!”. Now the people within a one block radius were laughing hysterically at me. Still I wouldn’t let the traffic continue until the goat was safe so I ushered it towards its mom and the mother came to meet its baby in the road and they safely walked away from the road. I had sufficiently made a fool of myself but the goat was so cute and now was safe.
The kids at the orphanage were all gathering together to watch soccer match on TV… so adorable to see. There is a little TV that barely comes in clear set in the middle of the outside floor and all the 35 kids are sitting together row after row watching and cheering for Ghana every time they score a goal. It was so funny to see them all around the one TV and all scream and throw their hands up when a goal was scored. I was sitting with this little boy named Aja who is probably around 2 ½ he doesn’t speak really and Rachel and I think he has a hearing or speech problem or is maybe slow. He also is always very sad, crying and covered in buggers and has a permanent pout on. I was playing with him and trying to get a budge but it took me leaving him to go somewhere else, him crying, and then me coming back to finally get a smile… it was a huge smile and he was so happy to see me, and naturally my heart melted and I found myself another best friend.
I will be gone to Lake Volta with weekend to side pool side and tan. We will also be visiting a bead factory there which will be so fascinating to see.
TTYS!
<3 Jessie 
1- Aja!
2- Kids watching the game! 


No comments:

Post a Comment