Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Count Down Begins!


This is the beginning of our last full week, and our last ten days! I am said to think I will be leaving these kids so soon I have grown to love each and every one of them and truly wish I could bring a few home… Any takers? They are sweet and know we will be leaving soon and aren’t so happy themselves. Yesterday was Monday and we had no school because of something happening in town, we went to the orphanage instead of teaching and spent time with the kids there. I taught a few kids how to hacky sack out of one I sewed for them with some scrap fabric and stones from the ground, it was fun, they were fascinated but it was only a few rounds before it burst open with a decent size hole. For dinner I tried something new called Veggie Stew and it was very yummy but VERY spicy, it cleared my sinuses. Haha
Rachel and I have become obsessed with this corny… CORNY soap opera that is on television here, it is originally a Spanish soap but they dubbed their voice with English. It is so stupid and insanely dramatic but it is entertaining and we actually look forward to it each Saturday and Sunday night. To our surprise and excitement there was a new episode that came on Monday and we caught it right before we were going to sleep. SCORE!
Tuesday was so nice; the weather was perfect sunny but not too hot and it cooled down a bit after a mid-day rain storm. The kids were cute in class today and I noticed I had made so serious progress with three of the kids I have been working one on one with. We had some volunteers from Cross Cultural Solutions join us today to see how our orphanage is run. I was paired with an older man who was here for three week with his 18 year old daughter… I thought that was weird three week in Africa in the same house as your father while volunteering. He was very sweet but almost that kind of obnoxious happy like, “Hi, where are your emotions there’s no way you’re always laughing in their… what the hell are you really thinking!” He did some rhythm thing with clapping and then tried to teach 5 year olds double digit addition… poor guy.
We brought the kids to the field today and played some soccer and climbed some tree. I watched as some kids were feeding a baby goat some leaves- awesome. I held the cutest baby today that was just walking around with its older sister (baby= 1 year, older sister= 4) It took all I had not to ask, “WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER!” We went home around 530 and had a very fried and starchy dinner finished with an entire water bottle and a freezing cold shower! I will read a little of my last book I have on this trip and then hit the hay. The week is flying by.
<3 Good Things 
1-A group of boys spelling words incorrectly with chalk on an extra desk.
2- Elikliplm and Emanuel laughing and showing me a stuffed duck that makes a crinkly sound- they got a kick out of it... PS: I am taking Emanuel home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment